Discussion of spiritual practices: awakening, meditation, and the freedom that cannot be lost or found. All perspectives are welcome; advaita, christian, buddhist, islam or even no perspective at all. Just pointing to that which is nearest and dearest.


For some "awakening hints" take a peek at: www.robertflegal.com



Wednesday, April 7, 2010

everything belongs

Discomfort arises when we believe that "what is happening right now is not enough or does not belong". Think about it ... what is arising right now is enough and belongs because it is all there is (at this present moment). Things cannot be other than they are.

We habitually recoil from "what is" by expecting something else. This endless judging and comparing causes dis-ease. Judging, for some of us, has become a habit or even an addiction ... happily all habits or addictions can be broken. There is nothing wrong with judging per se: we could not survive for a day without it. But when it becomes an addiction we have trouble, trouble, and more trouble.

So ... give this a try. Next time you meditate just say "YES" to everything that arises in awareness. Just welcome every thought, every feeling, and every perception whether 'pleasant' or 'unpleasant'. When we welcome what is arising, we are affirming reality and subverting the ego's automatic recoil. Then life is seen to be free from 'me'; and desire-less, welcoming peace shines. By the way, you don't have to restrict this "everything belongs" practice to your meditation periods. You can do it anytime.

Enlightenment is effortless. It takes great effort to carry so many opinions about what belongs and what does not. Unburden yourself .... no one is forcing you to carry so much.

bob

1 comment:

  1. This post reminded me of one of my writings, I hope others enjoy it.

    Those Absurd People
    One of the most absurd concepts that my mind has created is the idea that there is a way that things “should be”. Rooted in this concept is a belief that if I reject the way a thing is, it will become the way it should be. Every thing in my life is compared to my idea of how it should be. I throw energy at things all day long in a feeble attempt to alter reality. I revel in finding others that share a similar idea if how a thing should be. I judge others as defective if they do not share the same “should be” as me. I am frustrated by those absurd people that accept a thing as “it is”.

    The rejection of the “should be” concept has been growing within me for some time. I first noticed the futility of it in others, then thankfully I moved to the realization that I too do that thing. Once I added this to the list of mental behaviors to monitor, I began to see how prevalent it was for me. I now enjoy limited success at accepting the world as it is. When I am able to practice this acceptance, I find it most peaceful. I become in tune with something extremely powerful. When unable, I suffer the discord of a powerless victim.
    RAD I
    525

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive